It’s always fun to look back on the person you used to be and the stupid things you did and how far you’ve got to where you are now. And you’d probably think about the things you could have done and also the things you wish you didn’t. But then again based from the laws of temporal paradox, if you had and hadn’t done those things, then you wouldn’t be thinking about doing and not doing…those things.
So I was 16 when I entered college and well, I was a different person back then. I’m not saying I’m already perfect now. I mean, chances are in a few years, I’ll probably look back at this exact moment and think about the things that could have and shouldn’t have done.
But I wrote a list of the few things I would tell myself four years ago. You know, just in case I had a chance.
- Detachments are horrible fuckers but that doesn’t mean they are not important.
- Shipping your friends are fun. But always support them with their current relationship even if it did not end the way you want it to be. Remember that whoever the person they end up with makes them very happy.
- Don’t hate girls. Instead, protect them and work with them to end patriarchal oppression.
- Your relationship with your parents will get stronger and you’ll find yourself getting clingier as time goes by.
- You are going to have weird romantic thoughts among your friends. The classic “what ifs”.That’s okay. Just as long as you will not dwell on those thoughts too much because it’s gonna get complicated if you do.
- Stressed? Upset? Furious? Bored? Take a stroll around the city. It will make you feel better. (also, stop by the Booksale if you have the time.)
- Always find time to read.
- Rape and racist jokes are not funny.
- You do not get to hate the people who love the stuff that you hate. And you do not get to hate the people who are confident with themselves. Hate will get you nowhere.
- Listen to the songs your friends love. Those are their stories.
- “Guilty pleasure” is a social construct. Scream your guilty pleasures to the world.
- Coffee gives you power but should be used with great caution.
- You will never see films the same way again.
- When you apologize, don’t make it passive and make sure you take responsibility of your mistakes.
- When you forgive, you are to not bring up the mistake of the person. Like ever.
- Don’t sleep anymore if you’re only going to sleep for like 1-3 hours. You’ll get a headache.
- Don’t slam your keyboard or punch the monitor when the software has error. Learn to stay calm even when things fuck up.
- Give people time to grow. Don’t hate them for their choices and opinions because you yourself were on the same place and mindset before.
- Be genuinely proud of the people who came out.
- Write when you feel like it.